Monday, January 9, 2012

Day 10: Gradient - Color Club "Shabby Drab" and "Rad Nomad"

My inspiration for this gradient manicure is an ornamental cabbage that my parents have. It looked like this back at Thanksgiving:

Now that it's January, though, the purple has faded deeper into the green, so the plant is almost totally purple even though there is still a hint of green. When I tried to recreate this gradient on my nails, though, I couldn't get the shading right. Here's what the first attempt looked like:


This photo was taken at dusk with a flash, but you can still see how pretty the purple leaves of the cabbage look. I started with a layer of Color Club's "Rad Nomad," a dark lavender from the Back to Boho collection, and then sponged on some OPI "Green-wich Village" at the base of my nails. I then sponged on some Color Club "Shabby Drab," a lighter lavender from the Back to Boho collection, and then more of the "Rad Nomad" at the tips. I wasn't happy with how the gradient looked, so I stippled on some no-name glitter mixture from that Pretty Woman set I got for Christmas. 

I re-did this design a couple of days later, but I think it looks worse than my first attempt:



I left off the green and the glitter and tried to fade the lighter "Shabby Drab" base into the darker "Rad Nomad" on the tips. Maybe I should have used different colors because I still don't like the end result.

What do you think? I had a hard time getting my gradient to "gradiate." Do you have this problem, too?


3 comments:

  1. This actually looks pretty good. I have a similar problem, but I think with practice it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination of colors purple to green..very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the graduated 'ombre' idea and I absolutely love anything OPI! You have definitely inspired me to get my backside to the wholesalers and get some more colours. x

    ReplyDelete

Labels

animal print (1) Art Deco (1) black (2) blue (4) cat (1) China Glaze (1) Christmas (6) chromatic misadventures (1) chrome (1) cigarettes (1) Color Club (4) Confetti (2) copper (1) Cover Girl (1) crackle (3) day1 (1) day10 (1) day11 (1) day12 (1) day2 (1) day3 (1) day4 (1) day5 (1) day6 (1) day7 (1) day8 (1) day9 (1) Del Sol (2) delicate (1) Duracolor (1) Duracolour (1) eBay (1) Essie (1) fauxnad (1) flowers (1) Funky Fingers (1) giveaway (3) glitter (1) gold (1) gradient (1) green (6) grey (1) haul (2) intro (1) Kiss (1) Konad (1) LA Colors (6) LaRosa (1) library (1) m73 (1) maybelline (2) metallic (1) music (1) nail art stamping (2) nail art stickers (3) nail stamping (1) nail stickers (3) nail strips (1) Nailene (1) natural nails (1) not nail polish (4) nyan (1) nyancat (1) NYC (2) off topic (1) OPI (5) orange (2) orly (1) penguins (1) pink (3) polka dots (1) Pretty Woman (2) Pure Ice Crackle (1) purple (6) rainbow (1) rant (1) reblog (1) red (5) Red Angel (1) rules (1) Sally Hansen (2) Salon Express (1) Shades of the Season (1) shatter (2) silver (1) smoke (1) smokes (1) smoking (1) socks (1) songs (1) stripes (1) teal (2) tribal (1) tribal print (1) Ulta (1) violet (1) water decal (1) Wet n Wild (3) white (2) WSSU (1) yellow (2) youtube (1) zebra (1)